Recent Film Reviews
Uncle Byron’s Corner:
Fantastic chronicle of Travis and the band. This anti-war effort is unsurpassed by that of any other music, including that of Bob Dylan and John Lennon, both of whom never went to war, so how could they really know? Travis epitomizes the first-hand reality of being used and abused by the corrupt system…. Someone called the Human Skab film a ‘Fauxumentary’? If so, the ‘x’ is pronounced with a hard ‘ck.’
Richard, The Independent Critic:
Human Skab is a Documentary With More Than a Little Attitude. There are times when Human Skab is absolutely about the music, and these scenes are absolutely compelling…. for anyone who can appreciate a deeply personal account of healing and rediscovery it remains an involving film throughout its 105-minute running time.
Bloody Hero International Film Festival:
This film was a highly, highly stylized film, different from all of our other programming. A thoroughly entertaining piece.
I’m a big fan of documentaries… If you’re a fan of human drama, then you might enjoy Human Skab, it’s filled with that… extolling the virtues of the band’s music and how great it is.
Roberts is an engaging subject. Technical issues can be forgiven on account of the nano-budget. Anti-socialist turned-conspiracy-theorist; from punk to soldier to protest singer. Examination of his PTSD and his current solitary existence in New Mexico. A great story.
Notable Film Awards
- 2013: Honorable Mention, 8th Annual S.U.R.G.E. (Social Uprising Resistance And Grassroots Encouragement) International Film Festival. San Marcos, TX.
- 2013: Official Selection, Hudson, OH Indie Gathering Film Festival & Convention.
- 2013: Honorable Mention, 5th Annual CIMM Fest (Chicago International Movies & Music Festival). Chicago, IL.
- 2013: Official Selection, QWFF (Queens World Film Festival), New York, NY.
- 2012: Award of Merit in Documentary Film, “The Accolade Film Competition,” Los Angeles CA. For the film Human Skab, feature documentary category. “The Accolade is a top tier international awards competition that honors those who demonstrate exceptional achievement in craft and creativity.” See www.accoladecompetition.org for more details.
- May 2013: Screening, with Director’s Post-Viewing Q&A. The Human Skab. University of Washington Ethnomusicology Lecture Series, Seattle, WA.
- March 2013: Screening, Queens World Film Festival, Queens NY.
- February 2013: Screening, 8th Annual S.U.R.G.E. (Social Uprising Resistance And Grassroots Encouragement) International Film Festival. San Marcos, TX.
- September 11, 2011: Screening, with Directors’ Post-Viewing Q&A. FSU Society for Musicology (SfM) Colloquium Series, Longmire 201. Florida State University, Tallahassee, FL.